Book Review || Use Your Perfect Memory by Tony Buzan

Hello Beautiful People, 

Use Your Perfect Memory by Tony Buzan is a self help book on how to improve your memory, or in better words 'Use it'. 

I decided to pick this book up, because I am learning a new language and it is difficult for me to retain new vocabulary. Hence, I though this book would help me improve my memory. The book covers various ways and systems you could do and use to put your brain into better use.  

The author goes through the Link System, The Peg memory system, The alphabet system, The major system and finally Mindmaps. The Link system is what I normal would use to memories difficult words (with weird spelling), however, the extent of the use of this system discussed by the author is beyond what I regularly would do. The system is actually very useful; For instance, if you want to memories your shopping list in order, you create a storyline that contain all the items. The storyline should contain elements from all your senses to aid in memorisation. I still remember the example used in the book, and all the items that were mentioned in the story, nevertheless, on a daily basis I wouldn't use this system. If you have a test to study, there is so much information to remember and creating stories that involves all your senses is time consuming. 

I don't disagree with the extent this system is being presented in the book, I just don't see myself applying it as it will make my progress much slower. Still, I will use it without the story aspect and only attach sensory elements to the information. 

With the other systems, The Peg Memory System is something that I would see myself using, but the Roman room system, the alphabet system and the major system are too complicated. The book explains well how these systems could be put to use, but I would end up forgetting the actual system or mix up. Which happened alot while going through the examples. For the Major system, you assign numbers to consonants and then give words to each number and this can go up to forever. Sometimes, a word has more than one consonant but only one represents an actual number. I personally see myself getting messed up with this system a lot (which happened while going throught the exercises in the book), and I would need to spend a lot of time to just get the system.



The book also briefly discusses Mindmaps (in barely two pages), it was one of the parts I was looking the most forward to. yet, I understand why it was short, as the author has books specifically discussing mindmaps. Funny enough, I think mind maps are going to be the best way for me to retain information and I've already begun using them. 

As I said earlier in my review, I picked this book up to help me in learning a new language, and there was a chapter about 'Remembering vocabulary'. Unfortunately it didn't present anything new to the table. I guess, I should just keep on doing what I am already doing and hope for the best XD 

Finally, the book goes into detail on how to use these systems to remember names, faces, phone numbers and study materials. I think this book might be interesting or helpful for individuals who are interested in improving their memory. It is a very light read, and I would recommend it. 

3/5 stars 'liked it'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review || Frida Kahlo: A Spiritual Biography by Jack Rummel

Book Review || Behind the Scenes: Avant-Garde Techniques of Contemporary Design

Book Review || The A.B.C Murders by Agatha Christie