Book Review || Design Handbook by Charlotte Fiell

Design Handbook: Concepts, Materials, Styles




Hello beautiful people, 


Recently I have just finished reading 'Design Handbook' by Charlotte Fiell and Peter Fiell, and here are my thoughts about it. 

I flipped through this book in the library, and it looked pretty interesting, so I picked it up. The Design Handbook is a beginner's guide to design, and it covers various concepts, materials and styles through time (mainly modern time).

The writing in this book is clear and easy to read through. Non-fiction books can be boring for me, and I didn't find this one boring (almost). Moreover, the topics in this book are quite interesting, however, multiple topics are repeated a lot through out the book, making it a little irritating. I don't want to re-read about the same topic.

I am personally not well-knowledged about design, design trends and materials, so this book is an eye-opening read for my case. Nevertheless, I was hoping to receive more from this book (which didn't happen), and toward the end of the book, I simply lost interest in it.

It is interesting reading about all the design movements from the 18th and 19th century, but the authors of the book could've covered a little more about older periods too. At the beginning of the book, a couple old design trends are covered, and then directly after we never go back to anything before the 18th century. This led to the book being quite repetitive. It would talk about materials, movements, art institutions, magazines/journals and theories from that time era, and it keeps mentioning modernism and post-modernism... and so on.

It is an okay read for me. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either.

Nonetheless, if you are looking for a book that covers the topics I have mentioned in my review, you might actually enjoy reading this book and find it interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review || Frida Kahlo: A Spiritual Biography by Jack Rummel

Book Review || Behind the Scenes: Avant-Garde Techniques of Contemporary Design