Fast Reads VS Slow Reads


Hello Netizens, 

Recently, I have come to realise some books take me longer to read than others. I have usually brushed it off, by assuming some books took me longer to finish, because I am not purposely going after finishing them. However, I find myself disagreeing with myself.

Woman sitting in a cafe, reading book Free Photo
Created by Snowing - Freepik.com
Toward the end of the past year, I started reading again after sort of taking a break from reading. Now, I am reading more than how I used to, and because of that I have been exposing myself to all sort of books that bring with them different experiences. 

With that, I started seeing the clear difference between fast and slow reads (as I didn't necessarily believe it is a thing).

My experience with slow and fast reads feels a little too extreme with me. For instance, with fast reads, I could read a hundred pages without feeling like I have been reading that much at all (one-hundred pages in one setting is a lot of me). On the other hand, reading twenty pages of a slow read feels like I have read more than I can take. What is weird too is, a slow read takes me a lot more to reach a hundred pages, even when I am enjoying the book and want to read it from front to back. 

A couple of fast reads I am reading or have read recently are The Hating Game by Sally Thorne and I haven't Dreamed of Flying For a While by Taichi Yamda. Now, you might think I have enjoyed both novels, but low and behold! I hated 'I haven't Dreamed of Flying For a While', but I can't lie about the novel being a really easy book to read and flythrough (even if you don't like anything about it). However, with 'The Hating Game'- which I am currently reading - I am really enjoying reading it, and part of me doesn't want the book to end. 

One of the slow reads I have come to finish recently is 'The Circle' by Dave Eggers. I honestly don't understand what happened to me while reading this book. I would spend hours reading it, just to realise I have only read fifty pages. Going through this bothered me a lot, and I believe it has effected my opinion on the book. 

Do I believe the pace I am reading a book will eventually determine my liking for it? my answer is no. I have only mentioned one example of a fast read that I didn't like, nevertheless, this seems to happen to me quite a lot. What can say is, most of my slow reads, ended up with me not liking them. 


Now, that is my experience with slow and fast paced books. What about yours? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review || Frida Kahlo: A Spiritual Biography by Jack Rummel

Book Review || Behind the Scenes: Avant-Garde Techniques of Contemporary Design

Book Review || The A.B.C Murders by Agatha Christie